A Fayetteville resident had the first presumptive positive test for COVID-19 in Washington County, according to a Wednesday press release from the City of Fayetteville.
No UA students have been diagnosed with COVID-19, according to Pat Walker Health Center.
There are 33 confirmed cases of the virus and 50 Persons Under Investigation (PUI) in Arkansas, according to the Arkansas Department of Health.
Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson gave a press conference to discuss the economic impacts of the virus at 1:30 p.m., and Fayetteville Mayor Lioneld Jordan addressed the media at 2 p.m. at Fayetteville City Hall.
At the press conference, Jordan listed the measures the city government has taken so far to contain the pandemic, including declaring a state of emergency on Friday, halving the number of people allowed in restaurants and bars yesterday, and coordinating with other cities in Northwest Arkansas.
“It was inevitable that COVID-19 would appear in this region,” Jordan said. “We’ve been taking proactive steps for several weeks in this city to be prepared for this day.”
City Hall’s seating for the press conference was reduced to half its normal occupancy, and all attendees were kept 6 feet apart. City Hall will close to the public March 19.
At his conference, Hutchinson announced that Arkansas will direct at least $16 million in state and federal funding to help companies such as hospitals, food manufacturers and small businesses remain open while they face economic hardships during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“For now, I want businesses to operate,” Hutchinson said. “They can do it in a safe environment. If you start shutting down the commerce, there’s even going to be an incredible exacerbation of the number of people that are unemployed. It will be a drag on our economy even further, and hurt families more.
Sarah Komar contributed to this report.