The Arkansas Razorback men’s and women’s tennis teams have had exceptional seasons thus far and were able to maintain their positive records.
The men’s tennis team kept their momentum going, moving their record to 3-1 Sunday. The Hogs split a set of matches over the weekend against No. 17 Oklahoma State and Oral Roberts.
After a two week break from their two back-to-back wins in January, the Hogs suffered a tough 2-5 defeat in their first game of the day against No. 17 Oklahoma State.
Santiago Munoz and Johan den Toom were able to pull out the victory over the No. 53 doubles team of Lukas Finzelberg and Jurence Mendoza 6-3. The Cowboys were able to snag the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches and earned the day’s first point.
In singles play, Adam Sanjurjo beat Tristan Meraut by a score of 6-4, 6-4 in straight sets to even the team score at 1-1. However, OSU was victorious for the next three singles matches to pull out the victory.
The last match between the Razorbacks and Cowboys was Munoz against Lucas Gerch at No. 4 singles. Gerch outlasted Munoz 7-6 (3), 3-6, 6-4 in a hard-fought matchup, and OSU finished the team competition with a 5-2 victory.
A total team effort contributed to a 5-2 win for the Arkansas men’s tennis team on Sunday evening over visiting Oral Roberts. Giammarco Micolani recorded a 6-4, 7-6 win at No. 1 singles over Amar Saletovic to take the deciding point of the match.
Jose Salazar at No. 2 and David Herrerias at No. 4 also picked up singles wins for the Hogs, both taking victories in straight sets over their opponents. Jacob Herndon rounded out the fifth point with a comeback 4-6, 6-2, 7-5 victory over Oral Roberts’ Alvaro Santamaria at No. 6 singles.
The men’s tennis team will return to action Friday when they head to Oklahoma to take on Tulsa at 6 p.m.
Despite a tough effort, the Razorback women’s tennis team lost 6-1 to Tulsa on Friday at Dills Indoor Courts.
In doubles, Shannon Hudson and Agne Cepelyte set the bar high, taking a 6-1 victory to kick off the day.
With a 1-0 advantage entering singles play, the Golden Hurricanes picked up back-to-back wins on courts to build their lead to 3-0.
The Razorbacks were able to snag the first set while Tulsa pulled out a 7-5 first-set win. All four courts were pushed to three-set affairs with the Razorbacks in strong position to win on three of them.
After a minor bump in the first set, Ana Oparenovic was able to claim the second set. However, Tulsa's Ksenia Laskutova held on to win 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 to clinch the overall match.
Play on the remaining courts continued after the clinch.
For their next game, the Hogs will remain at home to face Oklahoma State on Friday at 5 p.m.
1. William Albanese/Giammarco Micolani (AR) def. Jan Pehnec/Amar Saletovic (ORU) 6-4
2. Jacob Herndon/Austin Robles (AR) def. Kenneth Boykin/Barnabas Koncz (ORU) 6-3
3. David Herrerias/Juan Marino (AR) def. Alvaro Santamaria/Michael Sosnowski (ORU) 7-6 (4)
1. Giammarco Micolani (AR) def. Amar Saletovic (ORU) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
2. Jose Salazar (AR) def. Jan Pehnec (ORU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Barnabas Koncz (ORU) def. Juan Marino (AR) 7-5, 7-5
4. David Herrerias (AR) def. Kenneth Boykin (ORU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Michael Sosnowski (ORU) def. Austin Robles (AR) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6. Jacob Herndon (AR) def. Alvaro Santamaria (ORU) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
ORDER OF FINISH (ORU)
Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,2,3,1,5,6)
1. #9 Julian Cash/Arjun Kadhe (OSU) def. Giammarco Micolani/Mike Redlicki (AR) 6-3
2. Lucas Gerch/Temur Ismailov (OSU) def. Jose Salazar/Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 6-4
3. Santiago Munoz/Johan den Toom (AR) def. #53 Lukas Finzelberg/Jurence Mendoza (OSU) 6-3
1. Mike Redlicki (AR) def. Temur Ismailov (OSU) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
2. #68 Julian Cash (OSU) def. Giammarco Micolani (AR) 6-3, 6-3
3. #112 Arjun Kadhe (OSU) def. Jose Salazar (AR) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Lucas Gerch (OSU) def. Santiago Munoz (AR) 7-6 (3), 3-6, 6-4
5. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) def. Tristan Meraut (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Lukas Finzelberg (OSU) def. Johan den Toom (AR) 5-7, 6-4, 6-0
ORDER OF FINISH (OSU)
Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,2,3,6,1,4)
1. Saana Saarteinen (TU) def. Shannon Hudson (ARK) 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
2. #95 Ksenia Laskutova (TU) def. Ana Oparenovic (ARK) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
3. Rongrong Leenabancho (TU) def. Makenzie Craft (ARK) 6-7 (2-7), 6-2, 7-5
4. Marcelina Cichon (TU) def. Sasha Shkorupeieva (ARK) 6-0, 6-1
5. Yelena Nemchen (TU) def. Flavia Araujo (ARK) 6-1, 6-1
6. Mia Jurasic (ARK) def. Renata Kuricova (TU) 7-6 (7-2), 5-7, 7-6 (7-3)
1. Ksenia Laskutova/Renata Kuricova (TU) def. Makenzie Craft/Flavia Araujo (ARK) 7-6 (7-3)
2. Agne Cepelyte/Shannon Hudson (ARK) def. #46 Rongrong Leenabancho/Martha Matoula (TU) 6-1
3. Mahitha Dadireddy/Marcelina Cichon (TU) def. Ana Oparenovic/Mia Jurasic (ARK) 7-6 (7-4)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,5,2,3,1,6)